The essential documents for residency, job search and access to services in the area are different depending on the non-EU or EU citizenship of the citizen who intends to move to Italy.

If you are a non-EU citizen – to live and work in Italy, you need:

  • a visa – if required depending on your country of origin (verify it here)
  • a residency permit  (permesso di soggiorno) issued by the local Police Department (Questura) within 8 working days from your entry into Italy
  • a tax code (codice fiscale) which will be assigned to you and issued by the Italian Tax Office (Agenzia delle Entrate)
  • an identity card issued by your municipality of residence. 


As far as work goes, the company you work for will need to fill out an on-line form attesting to having hired a non-EU citizen (for more information and access to forms, visit the website Cliclavoro). 

For EU citizens no permits are required for stays of less than 3 months. You just need to have a valid ID. After 3 months an EU citizen remaining to work will need to register at the local registry office (anagrafe) of your municipality of residence. To register you will need:

  • an identity card issued by your country of origin and valid for expatriation or a passport
  • Italian tax code

  • work contract

When you have completed the procedure, your  municipality of residence will issue a declaration of residence (attestazione di soggiorno)

Your driver's license (patente), if issued by a non-EU country, must be converted. EU-issued driver's licenses do not require conversion.

Residency permit

The residency permit is the document that authorizes you to legally stay in Italy for long-term periods. To obtain it, a regular visa to enter the Italian territory is required. The residency permit:

  • allows you to carry out the activities indicated in the permit itself and access to services recognized for foreigners, 
  • allows the registration in the personal data lists and the consequent release of the identity card and tax code, with which you can request healthcare, open a bank account.

The residence permit must be requested from the Immigration Office of the Questura once you arrive in Italy within 8 working days and is issued by the Questura. For the Bolognese area, the Immigration Office is located in Via Bovi Campeggi, 13/3 (more information here).

For different types tlisted on the Immigration Portal, applications for the issue and renewal of the residence permit can be presented at post offices, using a kit marked with a yellow band to be filled in.


The duration of the residency permit is the same as what was granted on the entry visa and may not, in any case, be more than:

  • three months, for visits, business and tourism;
  • nine months, for seasonal work;
  • one year, for following a course study or certified professional training. These permits may be renewed annually for courses lasting more than one year;
  • two years, for free-lance work, full-time employed positions or family reunification;
  • duration linked to documented necessity according to the cases provided for by the Consolidated Act of Provisions concerning immigration.

Requests for the renewal of the permesso di soggiorno must be made at least 60 days before expiry date from the competent questura of the province of residence, to allow time for the verification of the necessary provisions.


For further information:

Tax code

The codice fiscale, or tax code, is an identification code given to every citizen and is indispensable for registering with the Servizio Sanitario Nazionale (SSN, National Health Service), for receiving social services and – for example – for signing any kind of contract  (rental, internet and phone services, etc.) or opening a bank account.

Foreigners must apply for their Italian tax code at the Sportello Unico Immigrazione (SUI), who will then send the application online to the Tax Registry Office.

Foreigners requesting a residency permit or its renewal at the Police Station may also apply for their tax code at the same time.


For further information:

Identity Card

For the Identity Card, it is necessary to go to the Public Relations Office - URP office of the municipality. Regarding the Municipality of Bologna, persons without residence must go to the URP office in Piazza Maggiore, 6. This operation will take about 30 minutes and your electronic ID card will be issued by the Italian State Printing office and delivered to the address supplied within 6 working days. 


For further information:



SPID, the Public Digital Identity System, allows you to access all the online services of the Public Administration with a single Digital Identity that can be used by computers, tablets and smartphones with a pair of personal credentials (username and password). The use of SPID is free.


For further information:

Driver's license

Foreigners with non-EU driving licenses can travel in Italy for a maximum of 1 year. An international driving permit or a sworn translation of the license must accompany the licence. After this year, to continue driving in Italy, they must apply for residency and have their license converted or retake the license exams and obtain the Italian one.

Driving licence issued by a European Union state are valid in Italy and do not have to be converted, even if you have resided in Italy for more than a year. Despite this, however, also for EU driving licenses it is advisable to request the conversion to speed up the procedures relating to renewal and duplicates.

For the metropolitan area of Bologna, the conversion must be requested at the Civil Motorization Office, Via dell'Industria, 13.


For further information: 


The ISEE, or the Equivalent Economic Situation Indicator, is a useful certification for accessing bonuses or social benefits such as, for example, the reduction of school fees. In practice, it estimates the economic situation of the family unit considering all real estate properties, financial income, income. To fill it in, you can contact free of charge the CAF located in the area and ask if someone can support you in English language.


For further information: